Short biography - Prof. Emilia Calvo
– 1991: PhD in Arabic and Islamic Studies at the University of Barcelona (UB); Stage at the Institute für Geschichte der Arabisch-Islamischen Wissenschaften. (Frankfurt am Main, Germany).
– Since 1990: Professor of Arabic language and History of Science and Thought in Islam at the University of Barcelona (UB).
–1992: Visiting fellow at the Center for Philosophy of Science (Department of History and Philosophy of Science, University of Pittsburgh).
– Since 2002: Corresponding member of the International Academy of History of Science.
– Since 2006: Head of the Section of Arabic and Islamic Studies of the Faculty of Philology (UB).
– 2007: Co-organizer of the International Conference on History of Science A Shared Legacy Islamic Science East and West, held in April at the University of Barcelona.
–Since 2009: Head of the Department of Semitic Philology of the Faculty of Philology (UB).
–Since 2010: Vice-president of the Comission on History of Science and Technology in Islamic Civilisations;
–Member of the group of research "Millàs Vallicrosa" of History of Arabic Science;
–Member of the Spanish National Committee of History of Science;
Two books and many articles published on history of astronomy and mathematics in Islam.
Fields of research:
– Mathematical astronomy and astrology in Islam;
– Astronomical instruments;
–Timekeeping by means of instruments and by calculation (Miqat).
– Edition and analysis of Ibn Baso's treatise on the trigonometric plate (13th century);
– Edition and analysis of the Castillian text of cAli ibn Jalaf's treatise on the Universal Plate (11th century);
– Scientific lexicography: Spanish translation of the second part of al-Khwarizmi's book The keys of Sciences (10th century).
by: FSTC Limited, Sat 19 June, 2010